Monday 4 September

Thankfully the wind had dropped and it had stopped raining when we stirred this morning.  Time to move on again.

Before leaving Glasson, we needed some water and this involved turning the boat round as our hose wouldn’t reach.   We left our bow tied on a slack rope and I stayed on dry land.   Storm pushed the stern out and began the turn using the motor.  Once the boat was at 90 degrees to the quay I untied the rope and helped by pulling the boat round to assist with the 180 degree turn.   The advantage of this is that fewer revs are needed and the boat can glide round, resulting in a more peaceful move.

Once our water tank was full both boats headed out of the basin in convoy.  The swan family of Mum, Dad and nine cygnets, who’d come to the window the other morning, were out and we passed them as they were enjoying their morning glide as they searched for food.

Pip and I worked the six locks that lead up to the main line of the Lancaster Canal and we walked between locks as there was little point in getting back on board for the short distances between them.

This morning the distant hills were shrouded in cloud, a real contrast to the blue skies we’d enjoyed       on our way down the branch.  It wasn’t cold though and we both discarded jumpers as we worked the paddles and opened the twelve pairs of gates.

At the top of the locks, both both turned left, rather than right.  We intended filling up with diesel at the automatic quayside pump at Gargate marina.  Unfortunately the ‘automatic’ wasn’t automatic and needed human intervention and this wouldn’t be available until Wednesday.   Both boats went to wind and as we can’t wait around until Wednesday we decided to head in the direction of Garstang and stop at the moorings just beyond Bridge 75 for the night to be watched over by Crocodile Dundee.

A slow pootle followed.   The whole canal is quite shallow and it is impossible to travel at 4mph; much better to travel at 2mph and keep as much water as possible under the boat.   A relaxing cruise with plenty of time to look around.

No sooner had we moored up than it started to rain.  The radio and then the TV drowned out the sound of raindrops until bed-time.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s