Sunday, 16 April

A week ago we celebrated Joseph’s 5th April birthday with a family party.    The weather in the morning was wonderfully hot so we set out tables and chairs on the newly mown lawn ready for the afternoon.  Unfortunately not long after all the family arrived, the wind got up and the temperature dropped and we soon sought shelter back indoors in the newly decorated playroom.

Summer enjoyed helping Joseph open his presents and cousin Jacob helped blow the candle out on the lion cake – a good time was had by all.

While we did our usual three days of childminding this week James and Ali were on board heading for Trevor.   They rang a couple of times on Tuesday morning to ask about an alarm.  Initially we thought it was the reoccurrence of a sensor fault but later discovered that, when we’d carried out our maintenance checks prior to them taking the boat, we’d failed to secure the lid on the water filler.  Once James had refilled the tank with water, they had no further problems.  They did bounce over something submerged as they came out of Chirk tunnel which had un-nerved them slightly but otherwise they’ve had a lovely, relaxing trip.

Once Laura and Marc returned from work, our evenings were spent helping them demolish a wall in what is to become the kitchen/dayroom.   By Wednesday evening, we were ready to escape and we set off to Yorkshire for the Easter holiday and a rest.

When we arrived at the house we couldn’t get the lights to work but thankfully I’d bought a torch and a quick look at the fuse board showed we just needed to flick the switch.  We had a quick look round to see what progress had been made since our last visit before we headed over to the pub for a drink before calling it a night

The plumber has started installing the central heating as promised but still has quite a bit to do.   Stuart, our electrician, has been back in and done a bit more but otherwise things were pretty much as we’d left them.

Despite intending to rest, I’ve done quite a lot of gardening. I’ve cleared a huge mass of tangled brambles and mowed the lawn. Storm has steamed the last of the wallpaper off the staircase which I’d been reluctant to do off the top of the ladder, reversed the swing of the sitting room door, and attended to various bits of admin.

We’ve spent more time seeing friends and family and have spent quite a bit of time socialising during the day this time.

On Friday afternoon we set off to Keadby to meet up with Pip and Mick before they left Yorkshire to head down the Trent to Nottingham.  We wanted to see their lovely new boat NB Oleanna which they moved onto last week in Sheffield.  Pip and Mick have spent seven years dreaming and planning for this moment and they were proud to show her off to us.

They will be looking for new owners for NB Lillyanne and there will be no more WASP journeys but we are planning to visit the Lancaster Canal with them in the Summer.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s